Wednesday 7 April 2010

The animal person

“You’ve got fish?”

“yup”

“what on earth are you going to do with two stupid goldfish?”

“I don’t know”

“So why do you have them?”

“some girl in res was going to flush them down the loo”

“oh god, so you saved them. I suppose you’ve named them too.”

“yup.”

“don’t tell me – Tom and Jerry, Mickey and Mini?”

“Freud and Jung”

There was much laughter from the table behind them. They were having coffee at the new shop down the road from Ashleigh’s university res. Kate looked back and tried not to appear too puzzled.

“Freud and Jung? That’s not your usual style. Explain?”

“Freud has serious issues and swims at the bottom of the tank whenever anyone new comes near the bowl. And Jung spends his whole time racing round in tight circles so I’m sure he, she, it has serious problems too.”

“Ah.”

Ashleigh glanced at her watch, “Oooh gotta go. I have to get back to res before the warden gets back or I’m in shyte again.”

She stood up and picked up a huge black togbag.

“Ash, what have you got there?”

“My hamster. Maximillion the Holy Hamster Emperor. That’s why I’ve got to rush. If I get spotted with another animal there’ll be hell to pay.”

Kate groaned and fished in her bag for some money for the bill. “You’re a nut Ash. Just wait I’ll come with you and help. Better meet the issue-filled fish anyway”

No comments:

Post a Comment