Tuesday 20 April 2010

three years ago (part1)

three years ago today...
the day before....
there was much hype. The chapel had been decked out beautifully with the most amazing flowers, the order of services all complete and ready. The pavillion was almost complete - the tables in the right place, the fairy lights strung up at the entrance and in the tree outside, all the menus ready with the place settings, glasses, table cloths, candles all waiting for the start of the new day.

My husband-to-be was with his family and friends in the hostel - having drinks, chats, playing music and catching up.

I was at home, snuggled in the power-cut dark with my mum, aunt, my beautiful bridesmaid and my mum-in-law. The candle light made everything feel even more surreal. Dad had made himself scarce - begging a headache. And then my cousin, my bridesmaid, gave me a book. She'd bought an amazing book made from hand made paper, and had filled it with letters to me from all the important women in my life. I read it quietly and then cried at the beauty of it all, the wisdom.
My mum's was the first letter... so amazing.
Thank you for You. You have filled our lives in ways we could never have imagined 27 years ago and I love you beyond words.
This is a life changing moment in your life. Step into it with the confidence of knowing that you have made the right decision. Nuture it with patience,. care and understanding. Keep it bouyant with enthusiasm, resilience and excitement and temper everything you do with love. 
Enjoy your journey with Austin. Get strength from your roots but grow and reach for the stars.
love you
 - mum.

I don't know how many times I've read this but I still am amazed at the awesomeness of my mum.

Other people filled in plenty of great notes:
"What an adventure you're about to embark on! Full of love, life, laughter, tears, memories, hopes, frustrations, perseverence and everyting that makes life fulfilling...."
"There is no doubt in my mind that your open heart and absolute kindness and ability to learn from anyone and anything will make this work. You are a powerful woman in a quiet and solid way - a way that will help you always find a beautiful place to place your feet and stand tall. Austin is one of those places and he is a beautiful gem that we welcome into our family and our hearts..."
" Write all your important dates on a calendar and hang it near the loo - so much easier than getting over your anger if he forgets...."
and a passage from my mum-in-law...
"In your married life you will have ups and downs. Life does consist of both rain and sunshine. But you and Austin stand together as Us and We  and am sure that everything will be fine."

I felt amazingly lucky. I still do. It was a beautiful evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment