Wednesday 7 April 2010

Clickty-Clack

So I knit.
I love it. I love the silent contemplation, the time I can spend thinking about me, about my plans. I plot, scheme, day dream, conversate with my other consciouses.
I love the deliberations at the start of the project. What shall I knit, what wool, what colour?
I love inventing my own projects - ideas not entirely thought out before I start.
I love the moment when, with a contented sigh, I extend the project at arms length and think "damn, I'm good".

I am, at the moment, in mid project: one started when I discovered that a good friend of mine is pregnant.
"Oooh." I murmered (after all the usual congratulatory squeals etc), "I shall knit you a baby something-or-other. I shall knit you something gorgeous and totally un-granny-like."
and so I started The Project. A baby blanket. It's in cream, light green and dark green. At the end of each section i extend it at arms length and think "damn, I'm good."
only...
only. Only it's taking so long! And I'm clearly better with smaller, quicker projects. This baby blanket has become a blanket that will be 135cm square. And while some parts of it are easy, quick and effective, there are other sections that seem to take an eternity to knit. I have discovered a real dislike for cable stitch. And for the pattern where I have to have 7 different strands of wool out the back which constantly get tangled and twisted so that every 2 lines, regardless of how careful I am, I end up sitting with it spread out infront of me while I detangle.
And as of today - I'm only just half way through the knitting. After that comes the sewing up the strips. And then crocheting the dark green border.
It will be worth it.
It will be lovely to watch her unwrap it from the box (already bought) and green and white tissue paper. (already bought).
It will be lovely to think that it will be used, and loved and cuddled up in.



so I'll keep going but I am already thinking about my next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment